Updated: Sep 19, 2019
I picked up these beautiful round zucchini along with these vibrant yellow cherry tomatoes from our local farmers market. Although many people like sweet zucchini recipes like zucchini breads or cakes, I prefer savory zucchini dish. Do you prefer sweet or savory zucchini?
This zucchini dish is called Borani Kadoo in Farsi. I have prepared it similar to the famous Afghan eggplant dish called Borani Banjan. Traditionally, the eggplant or zucchini are deep fried; however, in order to make it more healthy I use a grill. I feel like I am able to achieve that same amazing flavor by grilling. I grilled the zucchini and cooked it in a garlic tomato sauce and topped with yellow cherry tomatoes and yogurt. I love eating this dish with some warm bread/naan.
The Recipe & How To
PREPARATION 5-10 Minutes
COOK TIME ~10 minutes
- 4 round zucchini
- ½ medium size onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup yellow or red cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ Tbsp garlic paste
- 1 green chili
- 4 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- Yogurt for garnishment
- Dried mint for garnishment
1. Wash and slice the zucchini to about ¼ inch thickness.
2. Heat cast iron grill pan or a regular pan on medium heat. Once hot, brush oil over the pan and grill the zucchini for about 1 minutes on each side. The strips should be firm.
3. In a bowl, add the tomato paste, garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, black pepper, and ⅓ cup of water. I like to add the water gradually.
4. In a pan over medium heat, add 4 Tbsp of cooking oil and add the chopped onions. Fry until onions are translucent and light brown.
5. Layer the grilled zucchini over the onions and pour the sauce mixture over the zucchini. Lower the heat and cook for 7 minutes.
6. Add the small tomatoes and cook another 2 minutes.
7. Serve on a plate. Drizzle some yogurt on top. Sprinkle some dried mint.
Watch Video and Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel