Firni (Milk pudding) is the most common Afghan dessert enjoyed at Afghan parties, weddings, or any other gathering. This rose water and cardamom delicately flavored pudding is creamy and delicious. Some people prefer a simple pudding with no pistachio toppings, but I love the extra flavor the pistachio adds to the pudding so I always finish my firni off with a sprinkle of pistachio. This simple pudding is easy and quick to make. Its best when served cold.
This recipe was requested by a good Apoorva Sharma friend I hope you enjoy it!
The Recipe & How To
PREPARATION -- ~5 Minutes
COOK TIME -- ~15 Minutes
SERVINGS -- 4-6
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup french vanilla creamer
- 5 Tbsp corn starch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp rose water
- 1 Tbsp ground pistachio for garnish
1. In a cup or bowl add ¼ cup of milk and corn starch and mix. Stir until the corn starch is dissolved and a smooth mixture is formed. The milk should be room temperature or cool. Do not use warm milk.
2. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add the remaining milk, sugar, and french vanilla creamer. Place saucepan on stove over low heat and mix everything. Allow the mixture to heat. You can skip the French vanilla creamer; however I love the flavor it adds.
3. Gradually, add in corn starch mixture, stirring constantly until mixture thickens to a pudding consistency. If you let milk get too hot and add the corn starch, the mixture thickens too quickly and lumps might form. It’s best to add the corn starch when the milk is not too hot.
4. Once the milk starts to thicken add cardamom and rose water.
5. Keep stirring for a minute more and turn the heat off.
6. Pour the firni in a serving dish and garnish with pistachio.
7. Refrigerate and serve cool. Enjoy!
Watch Video and Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel