I had my sister over for Iftar today. She loves mushrooms, so I decided to make her this mushroom chicken dish. The western version of this mushroom chicken uses heavy cream and cheese, for my version I used my homemade yogurt instead which also made this recipe a little healthier. Afghans rarely use heavy cream or cheese in their dishes as these two ingredients are uncommon in Afghan recipes. My sister enjoyed the dish and we had a great Iftar.
PREPARATION 15 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes
4 pieces of chicken thigh and 4 pieces of chicken leg
1 small size onion, diced finely
4 garlic cloves
½ lb. mushrooms, sliced thickly
½ cup broccoli
6 mini potatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp cilantro,chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt or to taste
2 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp cooking oil
1. Season chicken pieces with ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon of paprika, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and ½ tablespoon of mayonnaise. Marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Place a pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the mushrooms and cook for about five minutes until soft.
2. Stir in the onions and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add cilantro, whole garlic clove, and ¼ teaspoon of salt, mix everything together. Transfer these onto a plate.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and cook the broccoli and potatoes. Cook for 3 minutes and transfer onto a plate.
5. Clean the pan with a paper towel. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and add the chicken pieces and sear for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer the chicken onto a plate.
6. In the same pan, add 1 cup chicken broth, ⅓ cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons of Lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon of salt and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat.
7. Return the chicken in the pan, top with the mushrooms, potatoes, and broccoli.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cook for 30 minutes.