Ramadan Day 13 --- Iftar Food
In my family we have a love-hate relationship with okra. I personally love okra. It’s one of the most desired Afghan vegetarian dish and made in a variety of ways. Tonight I made my favorite okra recipe and the results were delicious. When preparing, I like cutting the okra into smaller pieces so it cooks faster and the texture comes out best. Give this version of okra a try and let me know what you guys think.
PREPARATION 15 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes
1 lbs. Okra, sliced about a quarter of an inch
2 medium size onions, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 Tbsp tomato paste
½ Tbsp garlic paste
1/2 Tbsp ginger paste
1 green chili, chopped
8 Tbsp oil
1 tsp salt or to taste
¼ tsp black pepper
tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp coriander powder
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. In a pan, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Saute the chopped onions for 2 minutes or until onion slightly softens.
2. Add the okra and cook for 4-5 minutes until onions turn golden brown. Remove from the pan.
3. In the same pan, add 3 tablespoons of oil and add garlic, ginger, and green chili, stir together for 1 minute.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, turmeric, coriander powder, and salt, pepper. Lower the heat and mix everything well.
5. Add 3 tablespoons water and cook for about 3 minutes until tomatoes soften and the oil begins to seperate.
6. Add the okra, the lemon juice and mix well. Add 4 tablespoons water and close lid. Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Serve up on a plate. Enjoy!